Alcohol and other drug referrals
The Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA) and Open Arms – Veterans & Families Counselling offer support for veterans experiencing alcohol and other substance use disorders.
Open Arms support for alcohol and other drug issues
Open Arms provides interventions for alcohol and substance use conditions. We can also provide care coordination support for veterans and eligible family members to access specialist drug and alcohol treatment services, including pharmacotherapy and inpatient options. Contact Open Arms on 1800 011 046
DVA funding of community-based AOD services
DVA may fund community-based AOD services under its prior financial authorisation process. In order to access services through this process, individuals must be eligible for treatment, and referred by a medical practitioner. For more information, see the DVA website
Hospital-based AOD services
DVA has arrangements with private hospitals to provide treatment for alcohol and substance abuse disorders. Information about hospitals who provide these services and when DVA will pay for a hospital stay is available on the DVA website
Alcohol and other drug providers
Access to drug and alcohol specialist referral, information and telephone counselling can be accessed via the following 24-hour state-specific helplines.
- Direct line 24 hours a day, 7 days a week - 1800 888 236 Direct line
- Drug and alcohol information and referrals for young people (ages 12–21 years): Youth Drugs and Alcohol Advice - YoDDA - 1800 458 685
New South Wales
- Alcohol and Drug Information Service: ADIS - (02) 9361 8000 (metropolitan) / 1800 422 599 (other areas)
- Alcohol and Drug Information Service: ADIS - (07) 3837 5989 (Brisbane) / 1800 177 833 (regional QLD)
- Parent’s Drug Information Service: PDIS - (08) 9442 5050 (metropolitan) / 1800 653 203 (rural WA only)
- Alcohol and Drug Information Service: ADIS - (08) 9442 5000 (metropolitan) / 1800 198 024 (rural WA only)
If your alcohol or drug use is becoming a problem for you or those around you, there are strategies and tools you can use to get it under control.
Open Arms can provide individual, couple and family counselling to help improve your resilience, as well as enhance your mental health and wellbeing. Call 1800-011-046 for free and confidential 24/7 support.