Alcohol and other drug referrals

The Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA) and Open Arms – Veterans & Families Counselling offer support for veterans experiencing alcohol and other substance use disorders.

Open Arms support for alcohol and other drug issues

Open Arms provides interventions for alcohol and substance use conditions. We can also provide care coordination support for veterans and eligible family members to access specialist drug and alcohol treatment services, including pharmacotherapy and inpatient options. Contact Open Arms on 1800 011 046

DVA funding of community-based AOD services

DVA may fund community-based AOD services under its prior financial authorisation process. In order to access services through this process, individuals must be eligible for treatment, and referred by a medical practitioner. For more information, see the DVA website

Hospital-based AOD services

DVA has arrangements with private hospitals to provide treatment for alcohol and substance abuse disorders. Information about hospitals who provide these services and when DVA will pay for a hospital stay is available on the DVA website

Alcohol and other drug providers

Access to drug and alcohol specialist referral, information and telephone counselling can be accessed via the following 24-hour state-specific helplines.




South Australia

New South Wales


Northern Territory

Western Australia

See also

  • women drinking beer

    Alcohol and substance use

    If your alcohol or drug use is becoming a problem for you or those around you, there are strategies and tools you can use to get it under control.
  • call us 1800 011 046


    Open Arms can provide individual, couple and family counselling to help improve your resilience, as well as enhance your mental health and wellbeing. Call 1800-011-046 for free and confidential 24/7 support.