Community and peer program
The Open Arms community and peer program involves ‘lived experience’ peers. Peers work collaboratively with veterans, family supports, community agencies and mental health clinicians. Community and Peer Advisors complement our counselling and group program services. They provide a more holistic and therapeutic experience for clients.
Lived experience peers
Peers draw on their own lived experiences from the military and mental health service system when working with clients. Peers are able to provide insight and support to veterans with complex care needs. Peers can provide intensive case management as well as referrals for difficult post-service issues such as:
- physical health
- mental health
- thoughts of suicide
Community and Peer Advisors have an excellent understanding of the local support services. They work to enable the individual. By instilling confidence, helping overcome barriers and providing access to support services. This is achieved through:
- giving presentations
- visiting service providers
- attending community meetings and forums
- creating engagement opportunities, e.g. wheelchair basketball and coffee shop outings
Direct client services
- conducting intake (outreach based), e.g. at hospitals and crisis accommodation
- helping with case management, e.g. linking to services
- providing peer support, e.g. using lived experience to connect 1:1 and build hope
- support, education and networking
- monthly meetings (currently in Townsville with future locations to be announced)
- peer support training programs
To learn more about how the Community and Peer Program could help you, call Open Arms on 1800 011 046. The Open Arms’ Community and Peer Program is available nationally.
Open Arms' peer advisors have a wealth of experience and stories to share about their own journeys of service, recovery and living well.
25-29 November 2019
Open Arms hosted an Induction Workshop for the Community and Peer Program which is currently being rolled out across Australia.
Open Arms offers group treatment programs and educational workshops, relationship retreats, and suicide prevention workshops.