Mr Don Spinks AM
NAC start date: 2019
Don Spinks was born, raised and educated in the Upper Hunter Valley, New South Wales. He enlisted in the Australian Regular Army in January 1979. On completion of Basic Recruit Training Don was assigned to the Royal Australian Armoured Corps.
He was promoted to Warrant Officer Class One in 1999. In 2000 he was selected to attend the United States (US) Army Sergeants Majors Academy in Fort Bliss, Texas. Here he completed the US Army Sergeants Major and the Command Sergeant Majors Courses.
He served as an instructor at the academy the following year. For his service with the Sergeants Majors Academy he was awarded the United States Army Meritorious Service Medal.
His Regimental Sergeant Major appointments include:
- 2nd Cavalry Regiment 2003-2004,
- Multi National Force and Observers - Sinai Egypt 2004,
- Royal Australian Armoured Corps 2005-2007,
- 1st Brigade 2008-2009,
- Joint Task Force 633 on Operation Slipper in 2010
- Forces Command – Army 2011-2014.
In July 2015 he assumed the appointed of Regimental Sergeant Major of the Australian Army. He completed this role in Jul 2018 and transitioned from Army in September 2018.
In 2010 Don completed the Army Single Service component of the Australian Command and Staff College Course at the Australian War College. In 2015 he completed the Company Directors Course (NFP).
Honours and awards Don has received include:
- Medal for the Order of Australia. For meritorious service to the Royal Australian Armoured Corps and to the Multi-National Force and Observers - Sinai (2007).
- Member of the Order of Australia. For exceptional service to soldiering within the ADF in senior Regimental Sergeant Major appointments (2018). This culminated in the appointment of Regimental Sergeant Major of the Army.
In July 2019, Don was appointed as the Repatriation Commissioner.