Carrot cake muffins
"You know what it’s like – friends coming round for morning tea, kids’ birthday party and you need something quick! These muffins have a delicious ‘crumble-top’ that make them an easy and nutritious option. They also go great in school lunchboxes!"Tara Diversi APD DVA's Dietetics Adviser
- 2 eggs
- 1½ tsp vanilla essence
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup wholemeal plain flour
- ½ cup wholemeal self-raising flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 heaped tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ¼ cup of raw sugar (or mixed with ½ coconut sugar)
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- ¼ cup sultanas (optional)
- 300g grated carrot
- 1 small zucchini
- ½ cup walnuts
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- 2 tbsp shredded coconut
- 2 tsp pepitas
- 2 tsp butter/ butter alternative
- 2 tsp maple syrup / honey
- Pre-heat oven to 160°C fan-forced/moderate.
- Mix wet ingredients well in a small bowl.
- In a medium size bowl, mix all dry ingredients well.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry mix and stir.
- Fold through carrot and walnuts gently.
- Scoop into muffin tray.
- Mix all crumble ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle over top of muffins and bake for approx. 20-25 mins until golden and inserted skewer is clean.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to a week. Note: Crumble topping will go soggy.