"Mexican night is done right with this delicious bowl of goodness. This dish will certainly hit the spot for any cravings for delicious mexican flavours, without the over the-top portions and excess oils that often come with many takeaway or eat-out mexican options. This meal is full of vegetables, legumes, protein, and healthy fats. This combination of foods will certainly give you the protein and fibre to stay fuller for longer, while promoting good bowel and gut health." Tara Diversi APD DVA's Dietetics Adviser
- 1 Large Zucchini, diced into pieces 2cm x 2cm
- 2 Capsicums, diced into pieces 2cm x 2cm
- 250g Cherry Tomatoes, halved
- 1 Cup of Corn kernels
- 1 Can (400g) Whole Black Beans, rinsed thoroughly
- 2 Cups spinach leaves
- 2 Cups cooked Brown Rice
- 1 Large Red Onion, Diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 tsp Ground Cumin
- Pepper to taste
- Chili flakes to taste
- Handful of fresh Coriander chopped roughly, or 3 tsp dried
- 1 Avocado
- 1 Cup Mild Salsa (Look for salsa that has less than 400mg of sodium per 100g)
- Light Sour Cream to serve (Optional)
- Cook rice to packet instructions.
- Heat oil in a large fry pan over medium heat. Once heated, add onions to the pan and stir for a couple of minutes until fragrant and beginning to brown slightly. Add garlic and stir until fragrant.
- Add in zucchini, capsicum, corn kernels, and black beans and stir to combine. Then add 2 tsp cumin, the coriander, chili flakes and ¼ cup of salsa to the mix. Stir thoroughly so that all vegetables are coated with the spices. Keep on a low-medium heat and continue to stir occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Whilst the vegetables are cooking, in a small bowl mash the avocado with a fork, and add 2 tbsp of salsa, pepper to taste, and 1 tsp of cumin.
- Evenly distribute the rice, vegetable and bean mix, and spinach leaves into each bowl. Top with guacamole, remaining salsa, and light sour cream if desired.