Zesty chilli carbonara
"A delicious take on the traditional heavy pasta with sauce dish, this recipe is a great mix of healthy, fresh ingredients – pepped up with the taste of lemon and chillies, to provide a meal that is highly nutritious, tasty and quick to prepare!" Tara Diversi APD DVA's Dietetics Adviser
- 200g uncooked spaghetti / linguini pasta
- 6–8 small mushrooms, sliced 1 capsicum, thinly sliced
- 1–2 chillies, thinly sliced or 1–2 tsp chilli flakes (alter to taste preferences)
- 1 lemon, zested (~3 tsp) + 2 tpsp juice
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ red onion (optional)
- 4 rashes short cut bacon (optional if vego)
- Protein component: 1 cup edamame beans; 200g diced lean cooked chicken; prawns or salmon
- 4 large eggs (whole)
- ¾ cup parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup milk (or cream)
- 1 tsp mixed herbs or basil and parsley
- 3–4 cups spinach, washed
- Cook pasta according to instructions. If not already done, slice mushrooms, capsicum, chillies, onion, garlic. Dice bacon and set aside.
- In a large fry pan, heat oil and sauté garlic, chilli, capsicum and lemon zest.
- Add bacon and continue to stir until begins to brown.
- Add mushrooms and stir for 3–5 minutes until softened.
- Add prepared protein component and stir for a couple minutes over low heat.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk eggs, cheese, milk, pepper, herbs, and lemon juice.
- Add drained pasta and spinach to frypan and pour over egg mixture.
- Stir for 3–5 minutes for pasta to soak up egg mixture and thicken slightly — don’t scramble the egg.
- Serve immediately.