Sandwiches are often underrated, and can be a nutritious, and quick meal to take on the run or enjoy at home. This recipe is loaded with wholegrains and vegetables which means plenty of fibre to help keep you full as well as keeping your gut and bowels healthy. Not only loaded with veges, but avocado, cheese, and your choice of protein gives you plenty of healthy fats, vitamins and minerals like Vitamin C (tomato), Calcium (cheese), and B vitamins (bread) to keep your body working at its best!" Tara Diversi APD DVA's Dietetics Adviser
- 2 slices of multigrain bread
- ¼ Avocado
- Teaspoon of tomato relish (optional)
- 3 slices of tomato
- 2 thin slices of hard cheese
- 2 Large Cos lettuce leaves (or 1 cup of smaller salad leaves like spinach)
- 2 Slices of Beetroot
- 1 Large Mushroom, sliced
- Pepper to taste
- Protein options
- Smoked Salmon
- 1 small can (90g) of tuna in springwater
- If you’ve had roast lamb/chicken/beef leftover, this is perfect for your sandwich!
- 1–2 boiled eggs (can mash with 1 tsp mayonnaise)
- Choose a smoked salmon, or tuna in springwater for your protein filling to boost omega 3s
You may not believe it, but the sandwich layering can make or break a good sandwich.
- Spread the avocado evenly on both slices of bread followed by relish.
- Layer the lettuce, beetroot, tomato, pepper, protein option, mushroom, followed by cheese.